On Tuesday the 10th, we had a trip to wine country planned (Our trip to San Francisco was great...I'll write about that later). I knew my period was due on the 11th so I could have possibly gotten a positive on a home pregnancy test if I tested. So I brought some HPTs with me on the trip. I didn't even tell Dom I brought them, but I wanted to test before I had a day of wine drinking. That morning I woke up before the alarm and took the test. After I peed on it and laid it flat on the back of the toilet, I picked the directions to read about the how long it would take to get results. The first statement said to make sure the test was flashing an hour-glass symbol. I glanced at the test to check for this and all I saw was "PREGNANT" on the screen. The directions said it could take 1-3 minutes for the results to show. Mine popped up in less than 20 seconds. I started shaking, saying, "Oh my god!", and jumping around the bathroom. Dom was still sleeping and I didn't know if I should wake him up or just wait for him to get up on his own. I stared at the test for several minutes wondering how this happened. How did we get pregnant the month after stopping birth control pills? Why did we fall in the 15-20% that are lucky enough to have this happen?
I decided to put the test on top of the alarm clock so that Dom could look at it on his own and get the overwhelming shock that I had. I got in the shower. I was still hyperventilating and saying, "Oh my god!" When I got out, Dom had hit snooze and the test had fallen off the alarm clock. So I woke him up and told him I had something to show him. When I showed him the word PREGNANT on the test, he got the biggest grin on his face. You could tell he was so happy but he kept saying, "Holy shit!"
I immediately started stressing about how we were going to tell people. Because my family doesn't live in KC with us, I never in a million years thought I would be able to tell them in person. I had the idea to send them bibs in the mail that said, "World Greatest Aunt!" or, "My Grandpa is #1!" but I didn't have time to do anything creative. We were leaving for wine country in 30 minutes.
Just before we were getting ready to leave, Dom had the idea that we should use the other HPT just to be sure. We were already running late but I still did it. We got another quickly turning "PREGNANT" on that one too! I am glad we tested again because Dom got to witness the second one.
We spent the next 30 minutes trying to find my sister, picking up breakfast, saying good bye to Kelly's boyfriend, Stav, and trying to get organized for our trip. The entire time, Dom kept saying, "Tell them now," but I couldn't. Everyone was stressed and I thought it would just add more confusion. So once we got on the road and the initial conversation was winding down, I said, "So I don't think my day and wine country is going to be as I imagined." Kelly immediately said, "Why?" and I said that I couldn't drink any wine. Everyone was quiet. I think everyone knew what I was getting at but no one wanted to say it. My mom finally said, "What are you trying to tell us, Carrie?" I'm not sure who said it first but the next 5 minutes were followed by congratulations and me telling the story of the last few weeks and what had happened that morning.
The trip to wine country was get. It was a little awkward every time I had to turn down a glass of wine. I'm sure all of workers at the wineries were wondering why I was even there. Who got to wine tastings and doesn't drink wine?
We left San Francisco the next morning. We had sent a few messages to Dom's parents asking for Dom's mom to also pick us up from the airport, that we wanted to go to dinner, or come over after we landed. They kept responding that Annie is working, or that we would just see them over the weekend. Finally, Dom just said that we are going to come over, no more questions.
Dom's dad picked us up from the airport. He dropped us off at our house and we said that we would be at their house soon. We bought them a bottle of wine from Ferrari-Currano and a chocolates with "CONGRATULATIONS" on the label. Dom put the chocolates and a printed picture of a stork in a box. When we walked into Jake and Annie's house, Dom gave the wine to Jake and the box to Annie. Annie opened the box and started saying that Ghirardelli was her favorite chocolate. She then asked, "Why does this say congratulations?" I said, "Why do you think?" She immediately started saying, "Oh my god!" She fell to the floor and said that her legs were too weak to hold her up. Once she got up, she paced the kitchen in shock. Her reaction was quite extreme but I didn't expect anything less. She has been asking for grandchildren since Dom and I started dating over 7 years ago. This was the first time that I started getting anxious about the what if's. How was I going to tell her if something went wrong?
One of the huge positives to having in-laws (and a husband, for that matter) in the medical field is the instant medical care/treatment I receive. That morning when went by their office to get orders for a blood test to check my Beta HCG levels. They ordered them "STAT" and we were going to find out the official results in 4 hours.
Around noon, we got a text from Jake that said, "MOMMY!!!! DADDY!!!! YEAH!!!!" I was officially pregnant! My Beta was a 350, which is actually in the high average for 15 days post ovulation. It has now become a little joke (but not a funny joke, in my opinion) that there may be more than one baby. I don't even want to go there. I just want to focusing on STAYING pregnant!
So that's it! I'm pregnant! I'm in shock! I can't believe that we got pregnant on our first try! Everything has been so surreal.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment