Saturday, November 1, 2008

More good news at 11 weeks!

We had our monthly OB appointment yesterday. It was pretty uneventful! But that's a good thing, and I will never complain about that.

The appointment started off with the nurse using the doppler so we could hear the heartbeat. She asked me if I was excited to hear the heartbeat through a doppler for the first time, and I kind of felt bad that I had to tell her that we bought our own doppler so we've been listening to the heartbeat for the last week! But good thing I knew what to expect, because I had to tell her that what she was calling the baby's heartbeat, was not the baby's heartbeat! She was picking up my heartbeat, but the monitor was saying 156 beats per minute so I guess that threw her off. I told her that isn't want we've been hearing and that usually the heart rate is between 170 and 180. She fished around for a few more minutes before she finally found what we have been hearing at home. And of course, that heart rate was 174. Much better!

Dom was running late so he missed that part of the appointment. The doctor was with me when Dom got there and when he realized that Dom missed hearing the heartbeat on the doppler, he tried to find it himself for Dom to hear. He gave up after two minutes (the baby is still so small that it takes a while to find it) and pulled in the portable ultrasound machine! The quality isn't as good because it was a portable machine and a doctor was running it, not a tech! We didn't measurements during the ultrasound (I don't even think you can measure on the portable machines). The point was only to get a quick glimpse of what the baby was doing. The first picture is my favorite because you can see the arms and the legs. The third picture is Dom's favorite since you can see all of the facial features. This one freaks me out because it looks like an alien, or skelator as the doctor called it. The best part of the ultrasound was to see the difference in the movement. Last time, you could see little twitches in the arms, legs, and head. This time, the the entire body was flying around in the sac. It looked like it was jumping. You could also tell that the arms and legs had grown a lot. They were moving like real arms and legs, not just flapping like last time. There was one time that it looked like the baby was waving at us! It was amazing!




Dr. Adams was gone yesterday so I had to see a different doctor. I'm sure Dr. Adams would have given an hour lesson about what it happening in my body and I would have left feeling full of knowledge. This doctor told me to wash my hands regularly, wear my seat belt, and keep taking my vitamins! I'm not sure it takes a medical degree to give that kind of advice! I will have Dr. Adams back at my next appointment.

We have made our news public! We told all of our friends last night and I will tell the folks at my work next week. Our friends were very excited! We are having quite the baby boom now! This time next year, we will have three babies to take trick-or-treating! It is so nice to have friends that are going through the same things you are. And because they are further along than me, I am learning so much from them. By the end of the night, the pregnant girls were at one table sharing baby stories and the non-pregnant girls were at a different table, drunk and crazy! It was funny!

3 comments:

Stace said...

Aww looking at ultrasounds never gets old! :) I love them!

So glad that things are going so well for you!!! And listen to your doctor-- wash your hands, wear your seat belt, and take your vitamins! :) (Hey it's the same things I tell kindergartners!) Kidding aside, keep that baby healthy. :) Best of luck for the coming weeks and months!

Michelle said...

I am so happy things are going well. Almost to 12 weeks YAY!!

DrDom said...

So a 1 year old can appreciate trick-or-treating on Halloween but not Disney World?! This isn't adding up. Are these rules written down somewhere secret?....or are they being made up off the cuff?