When I started school, I was waiting for someone to say that they or their daughter was pregnant and due at the end of February. I knew that I won't be able to watch or hear stories about someone that is at the same stage in pregnancy that I SHOULD be. And I knew that I would be heartbroken all over again when that person gave birth at the same time that I SHOULD be meeting my baby. But that didn't happen. No one announced a late February due date! I thought I was in the clear.
But, wam, like a ton of bricks, it hit me this afternoon. My former student teacher and now fellow-SLP just announced that she is pregnant and due February 21st! Yep, that was my exact due date. What are the chances? I went into instant shock when I read her email. Thank god she told me by email because I don't think I would have been able to cover up my disappointment if she would have told me in person.
Don't get me wrong, I like this girl a lot and don't want anything less for her but why does she have to be due at the end of February and on my due date, no less. Just a few weeks earlier or later would have been okay. I have had very normal conversations with my co-worker that is due the end of January. No problem there. It's just the timing that is the problem with this situation.
By the way, two of the ladies that I eat lunch with have pregnant daughters but I don't know when they are due. I can't bring myself to ask. I may have practice my excited response so it doesn't catch me unprepared!
Overall, today was not a good day. Some of my students were falling apart, it was raining, my low tire pressure light came on when I was driving home, I forgot my cell (which is also my planner) at home, and so on. The only good thing that happened today were the surprise roses I got from Dom! They are beautiful! Unexpected flowers are the best! I received them before my afternoon turned to shit, so it was nice to see them sitting on my desk when I was sad!
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Carrie, I am so sorry you had a bad day. That was very thoughtful of Dom, he must have had intuition that you were not going to have the best of days. ((HUGS))
That sucks. :( It sucks when it seems like everyone around you is pregnant when you should be. Hang in there. :)
Post a Comment